Sunday, February 9, 2014

February, A Time for Love

February is kind of a bittersweet month for me. Gleindale, the next town over, is holding, a chocolate festival this week and I hope I get to visit those vendors and choose a yummy treat! The reason February is bittersweet is because February 10th is the anniversary of my mother’s death and February 14th is the anniversary of my dad’s death. They died nine years apart, my mother being nine years younger than my dad .

Today I choose to remember one of each of their best attributes. My dad held several accounting or banking jobs during the Great Depression. I have a box of letters he saved from these employers stating that he was an honest man and a good employee. I have never known him to do a dishonest thing.

My mother’s best asset was her ability to make friends. Even during her nine years as a widow her friends always seemed to be around. One gave her a surprise 80th birthday party. Another did Twelve Days of Christmas with her. She shared her garden with them. Even when she lived at a senior care center she was encouraging the staff to listen to General Conference on TV, sharing her Ensign magazines with her neighbors, and inviting the visiting teachers to visit her.

Today’s theme on the Tabernacle Choir program on TV was also about love. Charity is the pure love of Christ. Love One Another was one of the hymns they sang. The Spoken Word ended with the thought: Love is Time, meaning that the time we give to others shows our love for them.

One other event of this day came up when we learned that a man who lives across the street from us, had his mother pass away about 3 a.m. Helping him through the early days of mourning is something we can do to show our love. Just letting people know you care helps them recover.

Give someone you love a hug today.

No comments:

Post a Comment