Monday, January 2, 2012

My First Answered Prayer LDSW #7

LDSW #7 - My First Answered Prayer
     I was about 18 years old and had been dating Ben for about a year and a half. He became interested in my church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and he attended meetings with me frequently. We reached the point where we wanted to take the missionary discussions. I had been raised in an inactive family and learned along with Ben. He reached the point of wanting to get baptized but his parents did not want him to do this. The missionary couple, Brother and Sister Cornilles, suggested that we fast for 24 hours and get back together for a prayer, which we did.


     It was a very spiritual experience. After the prayer, we ate a simple meal and Ben took me home, then returned to his home. When he got there his father was waiting up for him. It was about 11:30 p.m. They talked for a long time and the result was that if Ben would go away to college in the fall–away from my influence–and if he still desired to get baptized after waiting a year, that Ben had his dad’s permission to get baptized. The next day when I heard about their discussion, I recall walking down a street in Oak Grove when it dawned on me that our prayer had been answered. I looked up into the sky and said aloud, “There really is Someone up there who hears and answers prayers!”


     As it turned out, he was not totally away from my influence, and came back home after Fall semester as he ran out of money, but he waited a year before getting baptized. And a year after his baptism we were married civilly in Oregon, but had the stake president’s permission to be sealed in the Salt Lake Temple soon after. His father, knowing that he would have to have been ordained to the Melchezidek Priesthood then realized his baptism had taken place the year before, but he did not have any further objections.

No comments:

Post a Comment