Thursday, December 22, 2011

Seeing The Forgotten Carols

A friend I work with on my volunteer job gave us a pair of tickets to see the final performance of the 20th Anniversary season for The Forgotten Carols live and onstage at Arizona State University.  Though I have owned the book and CD for several years, I never dreamed I would ever see it in person because they typically tour in the mountain west, where I don't live--but this Christmas season we are in Arizona!

After the formal bows and standing ovation, Michael McLean, the author, star, director etc. put on an extra half-hour performance. Sitting at the grand piano, he combined nostalgia about the Carols over the years, played more music, had a guest singer sing and then reverently asked the audience to join in singing Silent Night, and to not clap afterwards. Everyone exited the theater quietly and reverently. It was a wonderful, spirtually uplifting atmosphere. And the Christmas lights in downtown Tempe added to the specialness of the occasion as we drove back home.  This is the best Christmas present I could have ever been given!

No comments:

Post a Comment